Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the bacterium Treponema pallidum. If left untreated, it can cause serious damage to your health. In this article, we’ll discuss the symptoms, complications, and treatment options for syphilis, and how Nao Medical can help you get the care you need in New York.
What are the Symptoms of Syphilis?
The symptoms can vary depending on the stage of the infection. There are four stages of syphilis:
- Primary: This stage typically begins with a sore or ulcer called a chancre. The chancre is usually painless and can appear on the genitals, anus, or mouth.
- Secondary: This stage begins a few weeks after the chancre appears. The symptoms can include a rash on the trunk, arms, legs, and soles of the feet. Other symptoms can include fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and fatigue.
- Latent: This stage is asymptomatic, which means there are no visible symptoms. However, the infection can still be detected through blood tests.
- Tertiary: This stage can cause serious damage to the heart, brain, and other organs. The symptoms can include difficulty coordinating muscle movements, paralysis, blindness, and dementia.
What are the Complications of Syphilis?
If left untreated, this STI can cause a variety of complications, including:
- Neurosyphilis: This occurs when it affects the nervous system. The symptoms can include headache, stiff neck, and difficulty coordinating muscle movements.
- Cardiovascular syphilis: This occurs when it affects the heart and blood vessels. The symptoms can include chest pain, shortness of breath, and heart failure.
- Gummatous syphilis: This occurs when it causes soft, non-cancerous growths called gummas to form on the skin, bones, or internal organs.
How is Syphilis Treated?
This STI is typically treated with antibiotics, such as penicillin. The type and duration of treatment will depend on the stage of the infection. It’s important to get tested and treated as soon as possible to prevent complications.
If you’re concerned that you may have a sexually transmitted infection, Nao Medical can help. Our STD testing services are fast, confidential, and affordable, and we offer a range of treatment options for STIs. We also offer telemedicine services, so you can get the care you need from the comfort of your own home.
The best way to prevent syphilis is to practice safe sex. This means using a condom every time you have sex and getting tested regularly for STIs, especially if you have multiple sexual partners.
At Nao Medical, we offer a range of preventive care services, including STD testing and counseling, as well as women’s health and mental health services. We believe that by taking a holistic approach to healthcare, we can help our patients live healthier, happier lives.
Q: Can syphilis be cured?
A: Yes, syphilis can be cured with antibiotics. However, it’s important to get tested and treated as soon as possible to prevent complications.
Q: How is syphilis transmitted?
A: Syphilis is transmitted through sexual contact with an infected person. It can also be transmitted from an infected mother to her unborn child.
Q: How long does it take for syphilis to show up on a test?
A: It can take up to three months after exposure for an STI to show up on a test. If you think you may have been exposed, it’s important to get tested as soon as possible.
Q: Can syphilis be spread through kissing?
A: It’s possible for it to be spread through kissing if there’s a syphilis sore or rash present on the mouth or lips.
Get the Care You Need at Nao Medical
If you’re concerned about syphilis or another sexually transmitted infection, don’t wait to get the care you need. At Nao Medical, we’re committed to providing high-quality, affordable healthcare to our patients in New York. Whether you need STD testing, treatment for any STI, or preventive care services, we’re here to help. Book an appointment with us today.