Many people experience anxiety at some point in their lives. While mild anxiety can be normal and even helpful in certain situations, excessive anxiety can be debilitating and interfere with daily life. Fortunately, there are many treatment options available for anxiety, ranging from talk therapy to medication.
One innovative new treatment option for anxiety is Esketamine Nasal Spray. Approved by the FDA in 2019, Esketamine Nasal Spray is a nasal spray that contains esketamine, a type of ketamine that has been shown to have rapid and significant antidepressant effects. While Esketamine Nasal Spray was initially approved for treatment-resistant depression, many doctors are now using it off-label to treat anxiety.
How Does Esketamine Nasal Spray Work?
Esketamine Nasal Spray works by targeting the glutamate system in the brain, which is involved in learning, memory, and emotion. It is thought to work by increasing the activity of certain receptors in the brain, leading to the release of neurotransmitters that can help regulate mood and reduce anxiety.
Esketamine Nasal Spray is usually administered under medical supervision in a doctor’s office or clinic. Patients typically start with two treatments per week for the first month, followed by one treatment per week for the next month, and then one treatment every two weeks. Treatment typically lasts for several months, depending on the individual’s response and the severity of their symptoms.
What Are the Benefits of Esketamine Nasal Spray?
One of the main benefits of Esketamine Nasal Spray is its rapid onset of action. Many patients report feeling better within hours of their first treatment, compared to several weeks or even months with traditional antidepressants. Additionally, Esketamine Nasal Spray has been shown to be effective in treating both depression and anxiety, making it a versatile treatment option.
Another benefit of Esketamine Nasal Spray is its relatively low risk of addiction and abuse compared to other types of ketamine. Because it is administered under medical supervision, patients are less likely to develop a dependence on the drug.
What Are the Risks and Side Effects of Esketamine Nasal Spray?
Like all medications, Esketamine Nasal Spray carries some risks and potential side effects. Some of the most common side effects include:
- Feeling disconnected or “floaty”
- Increased blood pressure
- Blurred vision
- Feeling drunk
In rare cases, Esketamine Nasal Spray can cause more serious side effects, such as hallucinations, dissociation, or suicidal thoughts. However, these side effects are relatively rare and typically only occur in patients with a history of mental health issues or substance abuse.
It is important to note that Esketamine Nasal Spray should only be used under medical supervision, and should not be used by individuals with a history of substance abuse, psychosis, or certain other medical conditions. Additionally, Esketamine Nasal Spray can interact with other medications, so it is important to inform your doctor of all medications you are currently taking.
What Does Esketamine Nasal Spray Cost?
The cost of Esketamine Nasal Spray can vary depending on a number of factors, including your insurance coverage and the frequency and duration of your treatment. At Nao Medical, we offer Esketamine Nasal Spray as part of our mental health services, which are designed to provide affordable and accessible care to all members of our community.
Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be eligible for reimbursement for Esketamine Nasal Spray. Our staff can work with you to determine your insurance coverage and help you navigate the reimbursement process.
Overall, Esketamine Nasal Spray is an innovative and promising new treatment option for anxiety. While it carries some risks and potential side effects, it has been shown to be effective in treating both depression and anxiety, and offers a rapid onset of action compared to traditional antidepressants.
At Nao Medical, we are committed to providing high quality, affordable care to all members of our community. If you are interested in learning more about Esketamine Nasal Spray or other mental health services we offer, please contact us or book an appointment online today.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Esketamine Nasal Spray covered by insurance? The cost of Esketamine Nasal Spray can vary depending on your insurance coverage. At Nao Medical, we work with all major insurance providers to ensure that our patients have access to affordable care.
- How long does treatment with Esketamine Nasal Spray last? Treatment with Esketamine Nasal Spray typically lasts for several months, depending on the individual’s response and the severity of their symptoms.
- What are the potential side effects of Esketamine Nasal Spray? Some of the most common side effects of Esketamine Nasal Spray include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, feeling disconnected or “floaty,” increased blood pressure, sedation, headache, blurred vision, and feeling drunk. In rare cases, it can cause more serious side effects, such as hallucinations, dissociation, or suicidal thoughts.
- Can Esketamine Nasal Spray be used for other conditions? Esketamine Nasal Spray is currently approved for the treatment of treatment-resistant depression, but many doctors are using it off-label to treat anxiety and other mental health conditions.