If you’re applying for a green card, one of the requirements is to complete a medical examination. This exam is to ensure that you are not inadmissible to the United States on public health grounds. In this guide, we’ll walk you through what to expect during the exam, how to prepare, and why Nao Medical is the best place to get your exam done in NY.
What to Expect During the Green Card Medical Exam
The green card medical exam is a comprehensive exam that checks your medical history and current health status. The exam is conducted by a USCIS-approved doctor or physician. The exam includes:
- A review of your medical history and immunization records
- A physical exam, including a vision and hearing test
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening
- Other tests as needed, such as blood tests or X-rays
The exam typically takes about 30 minutes to complete. You will be asked to provide your medical history, including any past or current medical conditions, hospitalizations, surgeries, and medications you’re taking. You will also need to provide proof of your immunization records.
During the physical exam, the doctor will check your vital signs, such as your blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature. They will also check your eyes, ears, nose, throat, abdomen, and extremities. You may be required to remove some clothing for the exam.
The TB screening is done by a skin test or a blood test. If the skin test is positive, you may need to have a chest X-ray to rule out active TB.
How to Prepare for the Green Card Medical Exam
Here are some tips to help you prepare for your green card medical exam:
- Bring a government-issued ID and your vaccination records
- Wear comfortable clothing that can be easily removed for the physical exam
- Get a good night’s sleep and eat a healthy meal before the exam
- Be prepared to answer questions about your medical history
- If you have a medical condition or take medication, bring a letter from your doctor explaining your condition and treatment
It’s important to note that you should not schedule your medical exam until after you receive your green card application instructions from USCIS. You will receive instructions on how to schedule your exam and where to go.
Why Nao Medical is the Best Place to Get Your Green Card Medical Exam Done in NY
At Nao Medical, we understand the importance of the green card medical exam and we strive to make the process as easy and stress-free as possible for our patients. Here’s why you should choose Nao Medical for your medical exam:
- Short wait times
- Lower cost compared to emergency care
- Awesome and caring staff
- Beautifully designed clinics and patient experience
- Tech-focused approach (allowing you to get access to all health records through our tech platform)
- Strong telemedicine and after-hour service offerings so that patients can get care how and when they need it
- Deeply integrated into our communities to service them in the most beneficial way
- We accept most insurances, including those typically accepted by USCIS
In addition to our green card medical exam services, we also offer a variety of preventive care services, such as STD testing and mental health services. Our goal is to help our patients stay healthy and prevent illnesses from occurring in the first place.
FAQs About the Green Card Medical Exam
What happens if I have a medical condition?
If you have a medical condition, the doctor will evaluate whether it makes you inadmissible to the United States. If the condition does not make you inadmissible, you will be allowed to continue with the application process. If the condition does make you inadmissible, you may be able to apply for a waiver.
What if I test positive for TB?
If you test positive for TB, you may need to have a chest X-ray to rule out active TB. If you are found to have active TB, you will need to be treated before you can be admitted to the United States.
What should I do if I have a disability?
If you have a disability, you should inform the doctor during the exam. The doctor will make accommodations as needed to ensure that you can complete the exam.
Book Your Green Card Medical Exam at Nao Medical Today
At Nao Medical, we are committed to providing high-quality, affordable care for all of our patients. If you need a green card medical exam, book an appointment at one of our NY clinics today. We’ll make sure you receive the care you need to complete your application process with ease.