Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that are spread through sexual contact. Many people who have STDs don’t experience any symptoms, making it easy to unknowingly pass on the infection to others. However, if left untreated, STDs can cause serious health complications, including infertility, cancer, and even death. It’s important to recognize the signs and symptoms of STDs in men and to seek medical attention promptly if you suspect you have an infection.
1. Pain or Burning During Urination
One of the most common symptoms of an STD in men is pain or burning during urination. This is often caused by inflammation of the urethra, which is the tube that carries urine and semen out of the body. Painful urination can be a symptom of several STDs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomoniasis.
2. Discharge from the Penis
If you notice a discharge from your penis, it could be a sign of an STD. The color and consistency of the discharge can vary depending on the type of infection, but it is usually white, yellow, or green. Discharge from the penis is a common symptom of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis.
3. Sores or Bumps on the Genital Area
Sores or bumps on the genital area can be a sign of an STD. These can be painful or painless, and they may be accompanied by itching or burning. Herpes, syphilis, and genital warts are all STDs that can cause sores or bumps on the genital area.
4. Pain During Sexual Activity
Pain during sexual activity can be a symptom of several STDs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomoniasis. It can also be a sign of other health issues, such as a urinary tract infection or prostatitis. If you experience pain during sexual activity, it’s important to see a healthcare provider for an evaluation.
5. Itching or Irritation in the Genital Area
Itching or irritation in the genital area can be a symptom of several STDs, including pubic lice, scabies, and trichomoniasis. It can also be a sign of a yeast infection or other skin condition. If you experience persistent itching or irritation in the genital area, it’s important to see a healthcare provider for an evaluation.
6. Flu-Like Symptoms
Some STDs can cause flu-like symptoms, including fever, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. These symptoms can be a sign of syphilis, HIV, or hepatitis B. If you experience flu-like symptoms along with any other symptoms on this list, it’s important to see a healthcare provider for an evaluation.
7. Swollen or Tender TesticlesSwollen or tender testicles can be a symptom of several STDs, including chlamydia and gonorrhea. It can also be a sign of other health issues, such as a hernia or testicular torsion. If you experience swollen or tender testicles, it’s important to see a healthcare provider for an evaluation.If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to get tested for STDs as soon as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent serious health complications and reduce the risk of transmitting the infection to others.
How to Get Tested for STDs
At Nao Medical, we offer affordable and confidential STD testing for men in NYC. Our experienced healthcare providers can help you determine which tests you need based on your symptoms and sexual history. We offer a variety of testing options, including blood tests, urine tests, and swab tests, and we can provide results in as little as 24 hours.
Our clinics are designed to be welcoming and comfortable, with friendly staff and state-of-the-art technology. We understand that discussing sexual health can be difficult, and we are committed to providing a safe and judgment-free space for all of our patients.
What should I do if I think I have an STD?
- If you suspect you have an STD, it’s important to see a healthcare provider for testing and treatment as soon as possible.
What is the best way to prevent STDs?
- The most effective way to prevent STDs is to practice safe sex, including using condoms and getting tested regularly.
What are the long-term effects of untreated STDs?
- Untreated STDs can cause serious health complications, including infertility, cancer, and even death.
Does Nao Medical accept insurance?
- Yes, we accept a variety of insurance plans. Visit our insurances accepted page for more information.
How much does STD testing cost at Nao Medical?
- Our STD testing prices start at $50, and we offer a variety of testing options to fit your needs and budget. Visit our STD testing page for more information.
Don’t ignore the signs of STDs in men. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, book an appointment with Nao Medical in NYC today for fast and affordable STD testing.