About 50% of falls occur at home. But whether you’re at home or somewhere else, a sudden fall can be startling and upsetting. They’re the most common cause of injury among individuals aged 65 and over.
Falls can lead to serious injuries a, like concussions and broken bones. No matter how minor a fall is, you should take it seriously and seek urgent care for falls.
Here are some tips to remember if you fall:
- Remain calm and take several deep breaths
- Check to see if you have evident injuries
- Roll over slowly and try to sit up
- Kneel if you can, getting up on one knee at a time then stand up using your stronger leg, using a sturdy furniture or wall for support.
- Sit down if there is anything you can sit on
- If you cannot get up, call for help. If you are alone, crawl slowly towards the telephone and call 911.
Tip: Place at least one phone where it can be reached from the floor, in case of emergencies.